L’Hôpital de la Miséricorde (1876)
The Good Shepherd Museum is located in a magnificent building of historic interest on rue Couillard. The two wings set aside for the museum were built in 1878 and 1887, according to plans drawn up by David Ouellet, a renowned architect, well respected in the religious architectural community of Quebec.
Formerly known as Hôpital de la Miséricorde (a mercy hospital), the building with its red brick walls pierced with pointed-arch windows enhanced by a band of white trim is a remarkable example of Neo-Gothic architecture. That institution, destined for pregnant single mothers, was directed by Good Shepherd Sisters of Quebec for close to 100 years.
Maison Béthanie Chapel,
La Maison Béthanie (1929)
In 1929, the Hôpital de la Miséricorde moved to new quarters on Chemin Sainte-Foy. The building here was renamed Maison Béthanie when it became the official residence of an association of consecrated women known as L’Association des Madeleines de Béthanie. Since 1953, this religious group, associated with the Good Shepherd Sisters of Quebec, has been known as the Oblates de Marie (Oblates of Mary).
These dedicated and talented semi-cloistered sisters were soon recognized for their special skills such as invisible mending and perfectly crafted liturgical vestments. Many Quebec City residents remember, with a twinge of nostalgia, the time when the Oblate Sisters could prolong the life of favourite garments, thanks to their meticulous work.
Le Musée Bon-Pasteur (1992)
When the Oblate Sisters moved to the city of Lévis on the south shore in 1978, the building was used for different purposes. Then, in the early 1990s, the Good Shepherd Sisters planned to impart new life to the edifice and reconverted the interior of the building. Their intention was to create a space where the history of the Congregation could be told, thereby prolonging their educational mission. The three sections now include a hostel, the local community residence, and the museum.